Thursday, July 26, 2012

Wings

This book is certainly unique. I bought it on a recommendation and then it sat on my shelf while I got distracted by other books. When Aprilynne Pike came to SLC with an author tour I was already attending, I fished it out and took it along to get it signed. I started reading while I was waiting in line, and finished within a few hours. It's really not a difficult read, and, as I said, it's very unique.

Laurel is your average 15-year-old vegan hermit, who has lived with her parents being homeschooled on a huge plot of land for most of her life before moving to a less-small town to attend public school. Everything is normal, except the fact that she seems obsessed with peaches and eating only one of them a day, until she gets a lump on her back. Initially, she believes it to be a tumor, until, of course, a flower springs from it a few days later. Turns out she's a plant. But not just any plant! She is a faerie, the highest evolved species of plant. ... Right.

Despite my charmingly sarcastic tone, I really did enjoy the unique storyline of this book. It was refreshing to have a fresh take on an old myth. I wasn't thrilled with the love triangle, but both of the guys were cute and likable.

Overall, it was a cute, quick read, and I liked it without having my world set on fire.

Author: Aprilynne Pike
Recommended for: Ages 12 and up
Cautions:It's pretty harmless.
Available in: Hardcover, Paperback
Sequels: Spells, Illusions, and Destined; not sure if there are more.
294 Pages

No comments:

Post a Comment